Grendel's Freeciv Goodies

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Grendel

Grendel's Freeciv Goodies

Post by Grendel »

Hello Freeciv fans,

I have finally gotten around to posting the Freeciv stuff I have been working on. Graphics, nations, rulesets can be found here. Check out the README for a rundown of what's there, and there's more to come.

Grendel
lwyx

Re: Grendel's Freeciv Goodies

Post by lwyx »

Your Maryland modepack rocks! I lived in Maryland some time ago, and I choose now Marylander for most of my games. Go Terps!
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Nice to see somebody besides me is getting some use out of it. I lived in Maryland too. I love its heraldry-inspired flag.

Some more nations coming... soon.
Sarilho1

Post by Sarilho1 »

Hi! This is the first time that I can add a nation successfully, but, for any reason, the flag image is not accept by the game. There is something more that I need to do to make it work?

P.S.: What program did you use to create small flags. I wanted to create an Azorean flag, but I don't what program can I use to put it smaller.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I have the same problem. The flags must be declared somewhere, but I don't where.
For png files -flags & Icons- I use PSP, Gimp and anything that falls into my hands.
I create the flags/shields and then move them INTO the blank series that I found in a earlier version of Freeciv.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

The flags are declared in data/misc/flags.spec and data/misc/flags-large.spec, the shields are declared in data/misc/shields.spec and data/misc/shields-large.spec.
~ AVL
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Yeah, what he said. For the next update I think I will include the 5 files with all default nations plus my nations included.

I use Inkscape for making flags. You can use any svg editor. Resizing them is just a matter of resizing the drawing to the size you want and then exporting as png. There is a development version of Freeciv with a utility to make the flags and shields once you have the svg flag. The dev version doesn't work for me and I make my flags in weird shapes anyway so I don't use it.
Sarilho1

Post by Sarilho1 »

Thanks! I will see what I can do.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Wow that units.png is amazing! Would me using those be GPLv2+ compliant? (Did you make them and are allowing them to be used, or did you collect and/or convert them from something else? If they are from somewhere else, are they GPLv2+ licensed?) [I don't really know anything about this, but freeciv strictly adheres to this for official content.]
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Hmmm, what units.png? :) Probably you meant tiles.png. I made the icons myself, with a little help from OCAL. I haven't decided on a license. But it is certainly free to use for personal use. There are a lot of free-ish licenses out there and I need to read them all and see exactly what they say and that kind of legalese gives me a headache. :)

On another note, I have added ten nations! These are based on canadian provinces. I made these before for a previous version of Freeciv. All nations are now included in one zip with the data files prebuilt.