Q: Unit upkeep and free units

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Corbeau
Elite

Q: Unit upkeep and free units

Post by Corbeau »

Hello. I'm working on a ruleset that includes different upkeep for different units and I have a question. In some governments a number of units is free of upkeep (for example, in Monarchy usually the first three units, in Republic the first one and so on).

Does anyone know how *exactly* the game determines which units are free and which should be paid every turn? Does it depend on the cost itself, is it random, is it first-come-first-served or something else?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Q: Unit upkeep and free units

Post by Corbeau »

Nobody knows? The troubles I've seen?
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

From all I've seen in the games I've played, the first units the city supports are picked out and granted free upkeep, i.e. the units that were first built by the city or that were first given the city as home city. Though I'm not sure about this, I haven't checked in quite some time (too busy with other games).
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Though client shows some units as having upkeep and others not, it really doesn't apply to specific units. Free upkeep is subtracted from the total upkeep.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

cazfi wrote:Though client shows some units as having upkeep and others not, it really doesn't apply to specific units. Free upkeep is subtracted from the total upkeep.
Yes, but *which* free upkeep? If government allows one unit to be free, upkeep for one unit is 1 and for the other is 2, how much does a town spend for the upkeep?
--
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote:
cazfi wrote:Though client shows some units as having upkeep and others not, it really doesn't apply to specific units. Free upkeep is subtracted from the total upkeep.
Yes, but *which* free upkeep? If government allows one unit to be free, upkeep for one unit is 1 and for the other is 2, how much does a town spend for the upkeep?
Ok, that's a documentation klitch I thought we had fixed years ago. It really should say "government forgives upkeep worth one shield". I guess the mention of "unit" was added long long time ago when all units had upkeep of 1.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

cazfi wrote:
Corbeau wrote:Yes, but *which* free upkeep? If government allows one unit to be free, upkeep for one unit is 1 and for the other is 2, how much does a town spend for the upkeep?
Ok, that's a documentation klitch I thought we had fixed years ago. It really should say "government forgives upkeep worth one shield". I guess the mention of "unit" was added long long time ago when all units had upkeep of 1.
Is there some part of the documentation that does still imply that units are free?

The autogenerated government help on 2.4 currently says things like
* Each of your cities will avoid paying 3 Shield upkeep for your units.
which is correct (although needs reading carefully).
The Square Cow
Veteran

Post by The Square Cow »

In the wiki page about editing rulesets, in the section about effects, at the line about Unit_Upkeep_Free_Per_City, it says:
In each city amount of units are free from upkeep. As usual, you can use with OutputType requirement to specify which kind of upkeep this should be.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

JTN wrote:Is there some part of the documentation that does still imply that units are free?

The autogenerated government help on 2.4 currently says things like
* Each of your cities will avoid paying 3 Shield upkeep for your units.
which is correct (although needs reading carefully).
Oh! You are absolutely right! Yes, this clears things up completely! Thank you!
--