Masjid mod?

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
TheLegendaryKhan

Masjid mod?

Post by TheLegendaryKhan »

Hello All.

I just wanted to know how to edit the game to replace the temples and cathedrals with Muslim buildings like Masjid and Large Masjids etc along with their small image file?

It will make more sense playing as Turks or Afghans etc. :)

If there is no way, then hopefully devs will add this feature in all Muslim nations in the next update :)

No haters. Live and let live.

Thank you.
dunnoob
Elite

Re: Masjid mod?

Post by dunnoob »

Buildings depending on the nation would be tricky. Example: There is a wonder "Michelangelo's Chapel" (yet another non-neutral name), and an [effect_cathedral] in effects.ruleset, which in essence renders all cathedrals as redundant. IOW, you can sell all cathedrals if you hope to keep this wonder for many turns. And what should happen if nation A conquers a city of nation B, when A and B have different religious buildings?

The temple issue should be easy, it's a neutral name for an ancient religious building. Same idea as colosseum, an ancient building instead of, say, a modern cinema. But a "cathedral" is certainly not neutral. :-( In theory everything saying "cathedral" now (in various ruleset files) could be copied into "masjid", and players could then build what they like better. Mutually exclusive, otherwise folks would build both for a double effect.
TheLegendaryKhan

dunnoob wrote:Buildings depending on the nation would be tricky. Example: There is a wonder "Michelangelo's Chapel" (yet another non-neutral name), and an [effect_cathedral] in effects.ruleset, which in essence renders all cathedrals as redundant. IOW, you can sell all cathedrals if you hope to keep this wonder for many turns. And what should happen if nation A conquers a city of nation B, when A and B have different religious buildings?

The temple issue should be easy, it's a neutral name for an ancient religious building. Same idea as colosseum, an ancient building instead of, say, a modern cinema. But a "cathedral" is certainly not neutral. :-( In theory everything saying "cathedral" now (in various ruleset files) could be copied into "masjid", and players could then build what they like better. Mutually exclusive, otherwise folks would build both for a double effect.
Thank you very much for the reply friend. I am unaware of the editting in FreeCiv. Can you do a little favour of naming the files so that I go in and "copy replace" Catherals with MAsjids??

btw, i just searched "temple" in the windows explorer search bar, and came up with the free civ flder having all the stucture images. I believe I can easily replace the image there with a masjid's in a 64 x 48 px png file. Now I guess I just need to replace the name "temple" to "masjid". Is it a global setting or can be civilization specific and in which file to replace?

thanks again.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

You'd want to create your own versions of both ruleset (game rules) and tileset (gfx).

Here's somewhat old ruleset editing tutorial: http://www.cazfi.net/freeciv/RulesetExample.txt
See also "Creative Content" part of the freeciv site main page http://www.freeciv.org/
TheLegendaryKhan

cazfi wrote:You'd want to create your own versions of both ruleset (game rules) and tileset (gfx).

Here's somewhat old ruleset editing tutorial: http://www.cazfi.net/freeciv/RulesetExample.txt
See also "Creative Content" part of the freeciv site main page http://www.freeciv.org/

thanks so much Cazfi.. I see you too have developed mods for freeciv. maybe you can do a much better job than me. Anyway, just a suggestion m8.. thanks again