Default3+ Ruleset

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Arbogast
Elite

Re: Default3+ Ruleset

Post by Arbogast »

Well, I looked into the game.ruleset file, but I can't find the famous 'AI love', with slashes or not, except in the commentary of '*Eiffel Tower Rewonder'.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:Well, I looked into the game.ruleset file, but I can't find the famous 'AI love', with slashes or not, except in the commentary of '*Eiffel Tower Rewonder'.
That's the place. It's all part of
description = _("\
You are playing Freeciv with default3+ ruleset for single player games.\n
*Eiffel Tower Rewonder
The wonder now provides free upkeep for 1 extra unit in every city, while also
providing "AI Love" while its cost has also risen to 300 Shields.
")
Without slashes it's parsed as if quotation mark before "AI" would end description definition (to be pair with quotation mark in the beginning) and rest of this would be just meaningless garbage.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Like this?
The wonder now provides free upkeep for 1 extra unit in every city, while also
providing \"AI Love\" while its cost
, it looks weird to me, that's why I'm bothering you again.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Yes, \" gets parsed as quotation mark in description text, not as quotation mark ending the description.
With
...providing \"AI Love\" while...
in game.ruleset we get
...providing "AI Love" while...
in Help->About Ruleset
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Much obliged, I'm sure... :roll:

[EDIT:I also have a new hick: using the 'freeciv-manual.exe' I get very poor results -both in the GTK and the SDL, I posted this error in gna.org, but I can't follow them and I don't know what's their reaction.
Last edited by Arbogast on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

A small note from tileset author's point of view:

The new buildings are defined like

Code: Select all

[building_city_walls_1]
name		= _("Star Fort")
genus		= "Improvement"
flags		= "VisibleByOthers"
reqs	=
    { "type", "name", "range"
      "Tech", "Metallurgy", "Player"
    }
graphic	= "b.city_walls"
graphic_alt	= "-"
If someone would want/need to provide specific graphics for them, it would be better to have something like

Code: Select all

[building_city_walls_1]
name		= _("Star Fort")
graphic	= "b.star_fort"
graphic_alt	= "b.city_walls"
instead. It will look exactly the same as it does now until we have a tileset with a sprite named "b.star_fort" defined.
NotAnyoneSpecial

Post by NotAnyoneSpecial »

I have heard good things about 2.5beta, namely the implementation of 'special resource' requirements for buildings and units. Will be long overdue and immensely useful, to finally have legions need iron, musketeers need saltpeter and power plants need coal.

I am quite interested in the feedback from the ruleset, the AI has an unfortunate habit of trying to build every wall type it can, often needlessly and wasting production/turns - severely hampering its ability against human players. Default3+ for the most part is a very scaled down version, since I'd rather keep changes minimal and only those very very necessary. The more extensive changes, included nerfing land defense bonuses, power plants providing small amounts of happiness or providing a system of building requirements for buildings to help encourage largepox/strategic play such as a factory is needed to train Armor or advanced aircraft.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Is there a chance of an upgrade of the Default3 for the Freeciv 2.5.? :roll:
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

NotAnyoneSpecial wrote:I have heard good things about 2.5beta, namely the implementation of 'special resource' requirements for buildings and units. Will be long overdue and immensely useful, to finally have legions need iron, musketeers need saltpeter and power plants need coal.
Now we just need a "TradeCity" range(City range, plus the City ranges of that city's trading partners), so we aren't completely limited to what the current city can produce ;)
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

GriffonSpade wrote:Now we just need a "TradeCity" range(City range, plus the City ranges of that city's trading partners), so we aren't completely limited to what the current city can produce ;)
Already added to 2.6. :)