updating old Scenario maps

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
bvanevery

updating old Scenario maps

Post by bvanevery »

I've been fooling around with the North American map. A couple of quirks: I've noticed it displays incorrectly in my client because it doesn't have a code for its topography. The map is using "old school" topography codes. Currently it is "0" but it should be "4", equivalent to the modern ISO code. When I try to set modern codes for all kinds of things, they typically don't work. I'm imagining there's some kind of on-the-fly conversion from old to new .sav formats. The problem is, there's no way to save such converted files until one starts a game and enters the in-game editor. By that time, the .sav file has lots of extra garbage in it, and AI units will start moving too if you're not careful. Also the in-game editor doesn't let you easily edit various things, like changing a nation's starting position, reassigning starting positions, etc. so it's back to hand tweaking the .sav file. Also there's no coordinate readout for tiles, so if I want to make a new start position, I make it in the editor, save a garbage game, open the garbage game file to read the coordinates, then paste those coordinates into the original scenario .sav file I'm actually working on. Which is in a different format that modern maps.

Ok I worked around all of that. But what I haven't solved yet, is how to set modern start units. In the old school method, one sets settlers=4 explorer=2 and that's all you can set. I want workers in there, because I'm trying to set up a US Civil War era demo and the AIs are too dumb to build appropriate roads and rails on their own. I haven't looked at whether the AIs can be induced to have different priorities; I sure hope so because they're just terrible at nation building. I give them techlevel=60 and they don't even build factories!

So, again, how do I get workers into an old school Scenario file? Or convert the old school file to a modern file without a lot of extraneous save junk added to it?
cazfi
Elite

Re: updating old Scenario maps

Post by cazfi »

Sorry for not noticing this post until now.

I'm currently updating all the scenario files in freeciv tree to 2.5 savegame format in S2_5 and TRUNK development versions. Most of them are in version control already. I've been doing that with new scensave -command of 2.5 (when built with --enable-debug). It allows one to save a scenario game in server before starting it with the client. Basically: load old scenario and save it. Server converts old file to format it understands while loading, and saves in current format. There's some minor tweaking required after that - "scensave" still needs to be improved, such as removing settings you don't want to be saved as part of the scenario (scensave saves all the settings).
bvanevery wrote:I've been fooling around with the North American map. A couple of quirks: I've noticed it displays incorrectly in my client because it doesn't have a code for its topography. The map is using "old school" topography codes. Currently it is "0" but it should be "4", equivalent to the modern ISO code. When I try to set modern codes for all kinds of things, they typically don't work.
You shouldn't use "magic numbers" any more: instead of "4" you should write "ISO" (see values with "/explain topology").
bvanevery wrote:I'm imagining there's some kind of on-the-fly conversion from old to new .sav formats. The problem is, there's no way to save such converted files until one starts a game and enters the in-game editor. By that time, the .sav file has lots of extra garbage in it, and AI units will start moving too if you're not careful. Also the in-game editor doesn't let you easily edit various things, like changing a nation's starting position, reassigning starting positions, etc. so it's back to hand tweaking the .sav file.
That's why scensave was added.
bvanevery wrote:Also the in-game editor doesn't let you easily edit various things, like changing a nation's starting position, reassigning starting positions, etc.
There's serious limitations on editor, but you can edit start positions with it. Middle-click a tile to open its property editor, and see "Starting position" tab.
bvanevery wrote:But what I haven't solved yet, is how to set modern start units. In the old school method, one sets settlers=4 explorer=2 and that's all you can set.
Modern setting is startunits. For 4 city founders and 2 explorers you would set startunits="ccccxx". See /explain startunits on the server.