Problem with civ2-3 modpack

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
ifaesfu

Problem with civ2-3 modpack

Post by ifaesfu »

I've just installed civ2-3 modpack in freeciv 2.3.3 under windows7 32bits using "freeciv-modpack.exe".
Then I've run freeciv, choosen "Start a new game" and then "civ2-3" in the ruleset box. Well, I haven't got to change anything else to get the client close to the main menu. If I click on "start" or "observe", it goes to the main menu faster.
I've noticed that there isn't any file related to civ2-3 ruleset in the freeciv directory. The other rulesets are located in "/freeciv/data" (default, multiplayer, civ2...).
Also I've noticed that "default ruleset" is the only one which works; multiplayer, civ1, civ2... didn't work either.
It's been a long time since I don't play a solo game, as I usually play in the metaserver, longturn and greatturn, but I'm very interested in this ruleset.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Problem with civ2-3 modpack

Post by cazfi »

ifaesfu wrote:I've just installed civ2-3 modpack in freeciv 2.3.3 under windows7 32bits using "freeciv-modpack.exe".
Then I've run freeciv, choosen "Start a new game" and then "civ2-3" in the ruleset box. Well, I haven't got to change anything else to get the client close to the main menu. If I click on "start" or "observe", it goes to the main menu faster.
I've noticed that there isn't any file related to civ2-3 ruleset in the freeciv directory. The other rulesets are located in "/freeciv/data" (default, multiplayer, civ2...).
Also I've noticed that "default ruleset" is the only one which works; multiplayer, civ1, civ2... didn't work either.
It's been a long time since I don't play a solo game, as I usually play in the metaserver, longturn and greatturn, but I'm very interested in this ruleset.
What I gather from this:
1) At least client finds civ2civ3 from its location (whatever that is in Windows) as it's visible in ruleset box
2) In freeciv 2.3 freeciv-modpack has quite a high failure rate (in 2.4. this is much better) so it could be failure in download in which case retrying with freeciv-modpack could help. However, problem in using even those rulesets part of the main freeciv distribution indicates some other problem
3) It sounds a lot like server failing to load the ruleset

Could you test to run server independently from client so you could see its error messages? Launch freeciv-server.exe (pssobile from dos-prompt) and give it "rulesetdir civ2civ3" -command.

Also note that just last weekend we released new bugfix release 2.3.4. Please test with it to be sure we're not wasting time on figuring out something that has already been fixed.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

With Freeciv 2.3.3 I've always noticed that switching to other rulesets in the client can cause it to return to the main menu, but by launching a server with -r data/<ruleset>, it always worked. Haven't tried switching rulesets in the client in 2.3.4 though.

EDIT: Still doesn't work in Freeciv 2.3.4. Unfortunatley, it goes back to the main menu too fast for me to catch the message it prints out a moment earlier.
~ AVL
ifaesfu

Post by ifaesfu »

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I've made a fresh installation of freeciv 2.3.4 and all the rulesets work now, including civ2-3 downloaded by means of "freeciv-modpack.exe".
civ2-3 is in C:\Users\ifaesfu\AppData\Roaming\.freeciv together with the directory where it saves the games.
pepeto

Post by pepeto »

You can also notice that revision 22401 may have fixed a similar problem, but it's still not included in 2.3.4.