There are some useless buildings in classic ruleset

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
fomalhaut

There are some useless buildings in classic ruleset

Post by fomalhaut »

I have hardly used some buildings and wonders.
Many of them have too low performance compared to their cost.
Like Sun Tzu's War Academy, I hope their performance will be adjusted.

need to improve performance:
"Courthouse"...Because Democracy has no corruption, Courthouse is unnecessary.
"Police Station", "Women's Suffrage"...Unhappiness caused by military units has small effect in classic ruleset.
Always my cities have Bank and no Police Station. :D
How about adding another function? (e.g. preventing spy action)
"Great Wall"...It's too early to be obsolete. And additional Defend_Bonus like civ2civ3 is better.
"Copernicus' Observatory"...Output_Bonus_2 (*1.5 or *2) is better rather than Output_Bonus (+100%)
"Eiffel Tower"...I can't understand the effectiveness of "Gain_AI_Love". And it's useless in multiplayer games.
"Cure For Cancer"...Its cost is too high!

need to reduce performance:
"Oracle"...Its reasonable price is about cost 150. It's very useful.
"King Richard's Crusade"...very strong effect and too low cost
"Offshore Platform"...It shouldn't add 1 shield to Lake and Deep Ocean, I think.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Re: There are some useless buildings in classic ruleset

Post by GriffonSpade »

fomalhaut wrote:"Police Station", "Women's Suffrage"...Unhappiness caused by military units has small effect in classic ruleset.
More helpful than you'd think if you have to do an emergency counteroffensive. Though, I've always felt that Police Stations should count as a unit enforcing martial law where applicable. They're called Police States for a reason, right? It's not a huge change, either.
ahfretheim

Post by ahfretheim »

In one of the rulesets I've been working on, Women's Suffrage does what it does in the classic, but it also changes the nature of Democratic and Republican governments worldwide. Democracies (including those other than yours) see an increase in their growth step to 20 cities per unhappy citizen, while Republics see all corruption related to distance eliminated. I'm also thinking that, due to IP protections, courthouses in democracy could increase science.

As for police stations, I've generally found they're more useful in Republics than Democracies, especially those with 0% Luxury. A police station can also be useful to building a naval town in a forested port that doesn't produce much gold, especially in a Democracy.
Jacew

Post by Jacew »

It's been quite a while since I've been in this forum, or even played freeciv. Anyway, I think I need to answer this...

Sun Tzu's War Academy and Great Wall are among the most valuable wonders for me:

Barracks are expensive -> When you maximize the science and try to hold against enemy, or even invade, at the same time, automatic veteran units becomes very important. So much that I sometimes aim for Feudalism solely to get the Academy. City Walls are pretty much must-have, if you have aggressive neighbor, and they are really slow to build. Enemy has plenty of time to invade, when you're trying to push defenders on the border and building walls in every city. With Great Wall going up in your capitol, your border cities have much easier time taking care of defence.

I completely concur with GriffonSpades comment about Police Stations.

EDIT: Note that I usually play with very slow science and with a map filled with AI players.