Variant2

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
cazfi
Elite

Variant2

Post by cazfi »

Since late 90's I've played all my real (as opposed to just freeciv testing) games with our own ruleset. I'm now making new ruleset, variant2, forked from it publicly available. Homepage of the new ruleset is http://www.cazfi.net/freeciv/variant2/. I'm doing this for future versions (freeciv-2.6 on) only. No backports to earlier freeciv versions, sorry.

While this ruleset starts as copy of our own ruleset that has traditionally been quite conservative in making changes, I think variant2 will serve me as next playing ground for testing new freeciv ruleset options. The previous ruleset that played that role, alien ruleset, is now stabilizing to be released as part of freeciv-2.6 and it should no longer get random changes "just because".
bard
Veteran

Re: Variant2

Post by bard »

I can't find it. Not in your webpage nor in the gna repository.
I'd like to download it if already available, please tell me where.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Variant2

Post by cazfi »

As I said I'm making it for future (2.6 ->) versions only, so first of all you need to compile freeciv TRUNK development version (revision 23253 at the moment, but I'm updating variant2 as often as I can to be compatible with latest freeciv revision). Variant2 can be installed with freeciv-modpack -tool (as it was still named in r23253 - it's called either freeciv-mp-gtk2 or freeciv-mp-gtk3 starting from Friday). Variant2 should be in the default modpack list to install presented to you when you launch the tool.

freeciv-modpack tooltip (when mouse over the varian2-line) also tells you what freeciv revision currently available variant2 download is compatible with.