Stealing techs with spies/conquering

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
wieder
Elite

Stealing techs with spies/conquering

Post by wieder »

Is it possible, with Freeciv 2.5, to let the players to steal techs with diplomats / spies but also prevent them from gettings techs while conquering the cities? Or would that be possible with some later version?
mir3x
Veteran

Re: Stealing techs with spies/conquering

Post by mir3x »

No.

You can make it in code.
Just comment out steal_a_tech(pplayer, cplayer, A_UNSET);
in unit_enter_city in server/citytools.c
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Ok, cool! Thanks!
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Opened a feature ticket about this: http://www.hostedredmine.com/issues/699156
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Just saying that mir3x's code commenting works perfectly. This is now implemented on LT40 currently running at T9 and stealing is now possible only with spies/diplomats but not by conquering cities. This has made it possible to implement the tech trading system with units only and leaving the traditional tech trading via embassies out.

Also really great if this will become an actual setting for the future Freeciv versions.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

While we're at it, any chance to allow diplomats to steal techs from same city multiple times?

Or, a more long-term solution, but probably more complicated to implement, separate all those actions into different flags in the ruleset?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Not possible to let the diplomats to steal multiple times from a city. The new Freeciv versions have more settings for diplomatic actions but I haven't checked those.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

I didn't mean "in the ruleset". I meant in the code, a single fix, like it was done for LT39 (I think?)
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Yeah, the code was changed for LT40. If someone like mir3x could figure out how this could be done, then yes, I guess it would be doable. All the code changes or course make it more difficult to upgrade the game to use new versions but small changes like that one are probably not too much work.

Actually the change was made for both LT39 and LT40 but because all tech trading was disabled on LT39, it doesn't really change anything there.

Then again I'm not sure how important it would be to be able to steal more than once with diplomats. At least on LT40. That game will probably reach the end of the tech tree and with spies + tech leakage everyone is able to steal more than once from a city. I could of course be wrong about this.

In any case the unit based tech trading is a new concept and probably better to have it slightly too weak instead of making it too powerful. With LT40 it should be an option an possibility instead of something that would make it as powerful as the standard tech trading via embassies. At least it's a step away from no tech trading at all :D

Now there is also the option to move the diplomats/spies with a submarine and that should help a bit.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

wieder wrote:In any case the unit based tech trading is a new concept and probably better to have it slightly too weak instead of making it too powerful.
Well, there is no way to make it too powerful because, no matter how "powerful" you make it, an already standard and by default more powerful option - tech trade through embassies - is already available. What we are experimenting with is a compromise that cannot possibly go outside of already set boundaries that already exist: no tech trade at all and full tech trade.
--